Saturday, September 26, 2026

this reminds me of the time you said "I love you" while I was puking Passion Fruit flavored Smirnoff into a bush

It took four years of living here  
to discover passion fruit  
growing wild in the backyard—  

a discovery I owe,  
credit where credit is due,  
to this abused dog I adopted,  
some sort of scavenger savant—  
probably how she survived outside  
until the dog catchers caught her.  

How long she lasted, I don’t know,  
only that it was hard.  

And I’m taking a bite  
of the fruit, praying  
it doesn’t make me sick.  
It tastes like some flavored vodka.  
I can recall the taste and price  
but not the name.  
And then I remember you saying  
that if you were ever homeless,  
you’d make it out.  

You’d steal clothes from stores,  
bathe in lakes,  
get a job—any job—  
you could do it.  

I admired how assured you were  
when, just a few months younger,  
I wasn’t sure I would survive graduation.  

And the dog finds another fruit,  
and I believe she could have survived  
without me, or anyone, for years,  
when suddenly—  
lightning-fast—  
I’m struck by the thought:  

Maybe this tiny, terrorizing terrier  
is you, incarnated—  

the irrational thought I’ve had  
about every animal that’s entered my life  
since you died.  

But eventually, as with all the others,  
I realize it is only the lingering remnant  
of my own compassion,  
reminding me  
of your open, flowing, tender heart.  

And somehow, I believe  
that no matter what, I will be okay.  
I have already survived  
losing you.  

And then I wonder,  
as the fruit glistens in the sun,  
as black lips are licked  
and dark eyes stare,  
whether I should share.  

I Google: Can dogs have passion fruit?

No.  
It’s toxic.  

Oh well.  

Perhaps this isn’t survival,  
not instinct,  
but a mysterious gift.  

And I thank her  
and you.

No comments:

Post a Comment